Monday 11 November 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Ok so as many of you will know, I BLOODY LOVE CHRISTMAS!!

(This is not referring to me, obviously)


I'm more excited than ever this year, as it'll be the first time I've been home/seen my family & friends in four months! For some reason, I don't seem to have ever 'outgrown' Christmas - in fact, I think every year I get more excited than the last. Now, I know it's only November but the thought of being at home to celebrate Christmas has put me in a very festive mood, very early. Here is my list of reasons why I love Christmas - enjoy!

  • The build up: Pretty much the best part! The music, the adverts, the decorations, the countdown on the advent calendar ... What's NOT to love about December?! A time where having a sherry before 12pm is perfectly normal and eating your weight in mince pies seems inevitable
  • The atmosphere: I don't know what it is, but you can always tell when it's nearly Christmas. I personally love going into town on Christmas Eve as you can just feel the Christmas-y atmosphere in the air! Aside from the usual stress (making sure all the presents are wrapped, that the turkey's bought etc) everybody seems to be in such a good mood - as far as I can tell anyway!
  • The music: Although already mentioned, I feel this just has to have a point of it's own. Possibly one of, if not THE, best parts of Christmas is most definitely the music - the same songs every year, but I love it!! Stick a bit of Mariah or Slade on and I'm instantly cheered up. And when those first few bars of "Fairytale of New York" start to play well, that's me well and truly in the Christmas mood! (Possibly my favourite song EVER). But not just pop music - even the traditional Christmas carols are important. Nothing beats the memory of warbling alternative versions of 'Good King Wenceslas' or 'O Come All Ye Faithful' at school Christmas carol concerts ...
  • For my last point I could say presents (after all, what could ever be more exciting than going downstairs and seeing that SANTA'S BEEN?!?! Seriously, if you could bottle that excitement and sell it, you'd make a fortune) but really, I think what makes Christmas special is spending it with your family. I couldn't imagine a Christmas without some of our own family traditions, for example, having my mum read me 'The Night Before Christmas', two times, every Christmas Eve - yes, yes, even at 20!! And still leaving out milk and a mince pie for Santa (because how else will he have the energy to deliver all the presents?) And waking up at the crack of dawn, just because I'm too excited to sleep; having my nana over for Christmas dinner, watching the Queen's speech on the telly, having a few drinks with the neighbours ... Presents or not, without these things Christmas just wouldn't be the same!
So although I don't want to wish these next 5 weeks away, I can't blummin' wait until I get on that flight and touch down in the UK - Christmas, come at me!


Merry Christmas from me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment