Friday 29 November 2013

Children in Need

I always knew that living in Spain would be different to living in Wales, but never knew just how different it would be until I actually arrived here!

Aside from the obvious things that have no doubt been mentioned somewhere before in this blog, there are some occasions which I definitely take for granted while in the UK, which don't happen here. For example:

  • Bonfire Night* - No fireworks, none, not a single sparkler! *sniff*
  • Remembrance Day* - Not a single poppy in sight; No 2 minute silence at 11am
  • THE FAIR!! - Something which is currently happening in Aber, don't think I've missed one in over 15 years! 
  • Children in Need* - No fancy dress, no silly Pudsey Bear ears, no charity cupcakes etc 
(*Note - Of course, I am completely aware that these are all British events, which Spain has no reason to celebrate).

It was just a little strange, as they weren't things I necessarily thought about when considering the culture change when moving to Santiago. I mean, a 5th November without fireworks?! (And no, we couldn't find any in the shops)

Luckily for us for Remembrance Day, my friend Ellie was well-prepared with poppies so we were actually able to wear them that week; We also managed a 2 minute silence, even if we were the only ones to do so!

When it came to Children in Need, we couldn't just sit there and do nothing! After successfully managing to stream it on the laptop (there felt something quite ... I don't know, naughty about doing it - illegally streaming a charity programme?!) we were able to sit and watch it as if we were at home. And it felt so nice, just to hear the British accent and watch people we'd actually heard of, and also to see just how generous the British public really are. More than once we were close to, if not in, tears.

We also thought it would be fun to do some baking, so what better way than to make Pudsey Bear cakes! (see below). As much as I do love it here and am interested in what Santiago has to offer, it was nice to have a 'night off' and pretend to be back in the UK. 

As for the fair, well that's something I'll just have to get over ... Next year I'll definitely be going twice to make up for it!




                                                       Our Pudsey Bear cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment